Sunday, September 18, 2016

Round Norfolk Relay

Well this was always going to be a tricky week. I’d committed to running in the Round Norfolk Relay and I was down for an 18 mile leg….

Mon – 2km up, 10 x 1km threshold treadmill, 1.2km down. All up 13.2kms

Tue – Claregalway 9.5km recovery run 36:26 (3:50’s)

Wed – 2km up, 10km treadmill threshold run 31:45 (3:11’s), 1.5km down. All up 13.5kms

Thu - Claregalway 9.5km easy run 41:28 (4:22’s)

Fri – Rest

Sat – Round Norfolk Relay 29.0kms recovery/threshold run 1:46:45 (3:41’s)

Sun – Rest

Weekly Total 79.5kms

The primary concern was the groin. A few threshold runs at the start of the week and it was clear I was going backwards. I had physio Tuesday (nothing they could do) and then a visit to the GP Wednesday (scan required if problem doesn’t settle).

The second concern was the distance. My longest recent run was a half marathon so I’d have to find the extra 5 miles on the day…

I started my run around 10pm and it was quite warm around 17 degrees and also humid. I settled into what felt like 3:30/km pace but it was actually 3:40/km. The groin was sore and I could feel it from the get go. By 10 miles I was struggling; by 14 miles I’d had enough and then it was a long slog home. Overall it was a disappointing run and I was in bits by the end. The groin was very sore and I went home in the early hours of the morning for a few beers and then bed.

No running Sunday – walking was an effort. But a lot of fun was had in the pub watching Spurs win.

I love doing this relay event but just not on good form this year. I'll be back next year to put things right - hopefully in a slightly shorter leg. On a positive I still recorded the fastest stage time of the day. Another trophy for the collection!

No comments: